The Guidelines | Application Process
The New Balance Foundation seeks to fund highly effective non-profit initiatives that build healthier, stronger communities with a specific focus on the prevention of childhood obesity. Priority is given to outcomes driven programs that drive healthy lifestyles through physical activity and nutrition as well as drive future success through academic attainment and enrichment. Our geographic focus areas are limited to Boston and Lawrence, Mass. and Norway, Norridgewock and Skowhegan, Maine. Applications for national and global causes are by invitation only.
New Grant Seekers
This is a highly competitive process. New organizations that would like to be considered should review our geographic and program guidelines for strategic alignment. If your organization meets our giving criteria, you are welcome to submit a two-page concept paper. Applications that exceed two-pages in length will not be considered. The online application will be available in February 2018. Concept papers will be due March 2.
The New Balance Foundation recognizes the significant and wide-ranging needs that exist in our global communities. We take our commitment to community very seriously and regret not being able to fund 100% of applications. We are focused on driving impact with existing grantees and therefore anticipate only being able to fund 2-3 new initiatives in 2018.
- Organization name and address, contact person including an email address
- Amount requested
- Brief organization overview
- Brief project description
- Target population
- Number of kids/participants seved and program duration and frequency
- Outcome measurement
- Organization budget
- IRS letter confirming tax-exempt status 501(c)3 and 509(a)
We will respond one month after the due date on whether or not you should proceed with the full grant proposal.
Existing Grant Partners
Organizations that received a grant in 2017 and wish to receive a grant in 2018:
Please follow the application process below. An online application will be available in February 2018. Renewals will be due February 16, 2018.
Each organization is limited to one donation request per year, which may include programs, event sponsorships, in-kind donations and volunteerism needs. A proposal of up to three pages is usually all that is necessary and should include the following:
- Cover Page
- Legal name of organization, address and name of executive director
- Contact person and title:
- Amount requested
- If your request includes different types of needs, such as sponsorship or in-kind donations, please itemize these
- Organization's mission
- Four sentences summarizing the proposal and its link with the New Balance Foundation mission
- A listing of the proposal's target population and geographic communities
- Proposal Narrative
- Briefly summarize the organization's history, goals and key achievements
- Detail the specific request, including program and organization budget, goals and objectives. What does success look like?
- List the following:
- # of children/individuals your program will reach.
- # hours per week
- # days per week
- # weeks per year
- Annual retention and attendance rates over the last 12 months
- The community or regional needs that this effort will address
- Specific activities and timetable for meeting your stated objectives
- List your success metrics and process for evaluation:
- Explain how you will measure success in the short- and long-term
- What tools will be used to evaluate your program?
- How many children will you be reporting on
- Keep in mind the following:
- Fitness measures (PACER test, other)
- Nutrition (behavior change, knowledge, other)
- Academics (GPA, high school graduation, college matriculation, college persistence, school attendance rates, other)
- Boston Children’s Hospital Fit Kit participation – please explain your involvement, current goals and any outcomes
- Be prepared to present results to the Foundation at the end of the funding term
- Outline a future plan for sustaining this effort and strategy for building your funding base
- Identify organizations you collaborate with that address the issues relevant to your proposal
- Outline how NB Foundation will be recognized if the grant is awarded
- Please note if there are any videos or photo shoots planned for the upcoming year to highlight the work of the organization
- Please list recent volunteer engagement with New Balance and outline opportunities for the upcoming year
- We request that you notify us when you start planning for a video or photo shoot project. We can discuss any product needs and explore ways NB and NBF might be able to leverage the assets. We would be open to contributing towards these types of projects, potentially editing a version that works for our purposes so as not to compete with your communication goals.
- IRS letter confirming tax-exempt status 501©(3) and 509(a)
- Current board member list
- Interim report for previous year's grant (for grant amounts of $25,000 and higher)
- Financial information
- Board-approved budget for upcoming fiscal year
- Itemized project budget
- List of companies and foundations being approached to fund this proposal with dollar amounts indicating which sources are committed, pending or anticipated.
- List of largest donors to overall organization and amounts
We will contact you if we have any questions regarding your proposal. Please note that our fiscal year is December 1 through November 30. Notification of grant approval or denial will be sent by U.S. mail.